Using Variables in BetterTouchTool
Variables in BTT can be quite useful when using Apple Script / Java Script and the like There are three types of variables:
- Temporary Variables - will only be available until BTT quits
- Persistent Variables - will be persisted and be available all the time
- Dynamic Variables - they are calculated dynamically. BTT comes with a small set of helpful dynamic variables.
Dynamic Variables provided by BTT:
- selected_text - The currently selected text. Readonly.
- BTTActiveWindowTitle - The title of the ative window. Readonly.
- OutputVolume - The current output volume of the system. Readable and writable.
- BuiltInDisplayBrightness - The brightness of the built in display. Readable and writable.
BTTCurrentlyPlaying - This variable returns whether the system is currently playing music/video (1 or 0). When called it also starts to observe further details and will make the following variables available:
BTTTouchBarVisible - Tells you whether the BTT custom Touch Bar is currently visible or not.
BTTCurrentlyPlayingApp - the app identifier of the app that is currently playing video or audio. Read only.
BTTInternalNightShiftState - Is the BTT night shift currently active or not? (Does not necessarily represent the system night shift state)
SystemDoNotDisturbState - The current state of "do not disturb". Readable & writable.
- BluetoothConnectionState-MACADRESS-OR-NAME - Returns whether a device is connected. Can contain wildcards (kind of dynamic-dynamic variable). E.g. BluetoothConnectionState-Airpod. Radable and writable.
- BTTActiveAppBundleIdentifier - The bundle identifier of the currently active app. Readonly.
- BTTActiveWindowNumber - The window number of the active window (to identify a window). Readonly.
- BTTTouchBarHasPhysicalESCKey - Is 1 if the TouchBar Macbook has a physical ESC key. Readonly.
- BTTLastTriggeredAction - The id of the last triggered BTT action. Readonly.
- BTTLastTriggeredUUID - The UUID of the last triggered BTT action. Readonly.
- BTTLastTriggerTime - The timestamp when the last BTT action was triggered.
You can always see your temporary and dynamic variables in the BetterTouchTool settings: